Saturday 14 May 2016

Great Cakes Soapworks May Challenge - Droplet Swirl

This month's challenge was incredibly challenging for me. I had so many goes at this trying to nail it, I think I will have enough soap to wash with for fifty years! I finally achieved a droplet that I am happy enough with to enter so here it is!






I only poured a small amount of batter into the bottom of the mould before pouring in my droplet colours as I like the droplets which have a long thin stem.

My bars are scented with a blend of spearmint, lavender and rosemary essential oils hence the mica colours that were chosen.

The mica was purchased from http://www.u-makeitup.com/ and the colours used were purple passion, lime, dreamy aquamarine and some titanium dioxide and activated charcoal for the black.

I thought I would also post some of my other attempts in order to show you how challenging I found this challenge to be. Getting a droplet shape was not easy for me!

I loved the colour of these and all the layers within the droplet, In real life they look much brighter and more vibrant. I was gutted that the outline turned out wobbly. I think it was because I poured the sides with a squeeze bottle rather than a jug so the pressure forced the batter into the mould unevenly.



I was also disappointed that this attempt wasn't a better shape. I allowed the central batter to touch the sides which resulted in the teardop having a line underneath it.



There were also lots of other attempts, some with no droplet at all, others with triangular shaped patterns and one where I used an accelerating fragrance which set up on me so fast that all I got was tiger stripes across the middle of the bar.




And here as promised are my other six attempts!!! 

Thank you for another great challenge Amy :)



22 comments:

  1. Beautiful and stunning design, Claire! The colors are absolutely exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debi, I had avoided black for the other attempts as it tends to accelerate on me, but by this point I thought it probably wasn't going to give me a teardrop anyway so I would at least make a bar of soap in the colours I wanted! I was so happy when I unmoulded.

      Delete
  2. I love your persistence, Claire!! Your entry soap is simply stunning. Love the colorful droplet in the black background. Elegant is another word that comes to mind. Thanks for sharing some of your other attempts as well. I noticed you didn't give an actual number to how many "other attempts" you made...but 50 years worth is a lot of soap! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliments Amy. I lost count of how man tries I had, but they are all curing in the workshop. I will put some pictures up of more of the fails next week. :)

      Delete
  3. The colours in your entry are stunned - they really pop against the super black background!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning colors!!! Such a contrast, vivid and memorable soap !!! OOO, you write that you had a lot of attempts, in this we are similar))) the Technique is not as simple as it might seem at first glance ;-) good luck !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck to you too Maria (I learned Russian at school and have forgotten most of it, but I can still read the alphabet so I think that's how to pronounce your name!) I wish you the best of luck with your entry too, it's beautiful and your droplet is perfectly formed.

      Delete
  5. Love your color choice Claire. A very trying technique but you got it. Lovely teardrop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carolyn, good luck with your entry too, it's fantastic :)

      Delete
  6. Super teardrop! I really enjoy the contrast of color against the black :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic job. Super color choice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Claire, your enry is so beautiful, the teardrop i perfect! Welldone and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you everyone for all the lovely compliments and encouragement! It makes all those tries worth the effort :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG - I needed several attempts to get this one as well, lol! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. your soap looks great, love the colors, lots of patience on this one and it paid off!!

    ReplyDelete